Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade answers some burning questions

In an exclusive interview with the Miami Herald, Dwyane Wade addressed free agency, Michael Beasley and his personal challenges this year.


BY MICHAEL WALLACE
mwallace@MiamiHerald.com
CHICAGO -- The time has come.

Seven years after he entered the NBA as the Miami Heat's biggest star, four seasons after he guided the franchise to its lone championship and two months after he wrapped up another agonizing season that fell well short of expectations, Dwyane Wade is on the open market.

With the biggest free agency market in NBA history set to open Thursday, Wade and the Heat are poised to be major players.

In an interview with The Miami Herald, Wade gave some of his most telling thoughts. He said of his impending free agency: ``A lot can go down between now and [July 8]. But it's funny how much you hear as far as speculation.''

Wade's next move is to meet with agent Henry Thomas on Wednesday and officially opt out of the final season of his Heat contract to become one of the more sought-after players in free agency.

Meanwhile, Heat president Pat Riley spent Tuesday clearing more salary-cap space to not only to re-sign Wade to a lucrative six-year contract, but also pursue the league's biggest star in Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James and Toronto's perennial All-Star forward Chris Bosh to form the most dominant -- and expensive -- trio in the league.

If it all comes together, with free agents allowed to sign new contracts beginning July 8, the Heat would quickly return to championship contention.

But there's also the risk that James and Bosh will sign elsewhere. And worst of all, Wade could bolt Miami in what arguably would be the most devastating departure in South Florida sports history.


Wade, James and Bosh recently have discussed the possibility of playing together in Miami, but representatives for two of the players denied an ESPN report that claimed there was a free agent minisummit in Miami last weekend.

``Anything that says Dwyane was anywhere other than Chicago all weekend was incorrect,'' said Thomas, who represents Wade and Bosh and is affiliated with the firm that handles James. ``But that's what we're dealing with this time of the year with free agency.''

So where will Wade end up? He insists he doesn't know.

But on the verge of entering free agency for the first time in his career, Wade spoke with The Miami Herald for a wide-ranging interview as he prepared to make his decision.

Q: In the NBA, July 1, 2010, has been the most hyped day since Y2K. Now that we're here, has it set in for you yet?

A: In a way, it feels like it's not really real [laughs]. But in another way, you know that day is right around the corner. You're nervous. You're anxious. It's here now. So you just kind of sigh like, `Here we go. Let's get it started.'

Q: You recently settled multiple lawsuits over failed business ventures. You're in the middle of a bitter divorce and custody battle and you're about to enter free agency. How have you held yourself together emotionally?

A: It's going on close to three years now that I've been dealing with a lot of things -- on and off the court. On the court, not having as much success as I would like here the past few years. So to deal with that and also have to deal with the lawsuits and the divorce, that took up a lot of mental space and time. And to have my kids go through this, to see me go through this gets to you.

Q: What was the lowest point along the way?

A: I had a good year the other year [2008-09] and contended for MVP. We won the gold medal before that in the Olympics and then to get the All-Star MVP this season was all great. But to experience those things without having my sons with me, especially in Dallas for the All-Star Game, was probably tougher than anything. I thought they'd be along for the ride. If everything wasn't so public, you wouldn't know I was going through it because I didn't really show it. But it's been crazy. It's been a roller-coaster.


Q: You have been granted temporary custody of sons Zaire, 8, and Zion, 3. But they have been in Chicago, for the most part. Where do they want their father to go in free agency?

A: Sunday, Zaire had to go back to his mom. So before he went, we went out and played basketball, and people kept asking me, ``Are you coming to Chicago? Where are you going? Where are you going?'' I just looked at [Zaire] and said, ``Ask him.'' He smiled and shook his head, looked at them and said, ``Don't ask me.''

He hasn't really said he wants dad to play here or dad to play there. He's just happy to have dad in his life the way that he has me. I think that's all he's concerned with. He's coming to the games anyway.

Q: You have said all along that you want to stay in Miami and possibly bring superstar players here to play with you. There's talk about James. There's talk about Bosh. Why, then, is there a need to consider going elsewhere?

A: It's an ongoing process. Nothing is final. I haven't made a final decision yet; just trying to get away from everything for a minute. It's a lot of things happening right now. A lot can go down between now and [July 8]. Of course, I want to be in Miami.

But everything has to happen the right way. LeBron doesn't know what's going to happen. Chris doesn't know. I don't. But it's funny how much you hear as far as speculation. You're like, ``When did that happen?''

Q: You know you will send Heat fans into a frenzy if you visit New York or Chicago or anyplace else, right?

A: Well, that depends if they want to give me the benefit of the doubt. Of course, I've shown my loyalty to the Miami Heat and our fans. I've told them what I would like to see. But that doesn't mean that it's going to happen. You have to continue to do what I'm supposed to do and that is to educate myself on situations so that I can make the best decision possible. I have to make sure I've done my homework and continue to see what else is out there.

Q: The Heat is in a situation where trading Michael Beasley could free up the salary-cap space needed to add a third superstar who would make a maximum salary. Do you want him to stay in Miami?

A: Mike Beasley is my teammate. I really don't have too many teammates under contract right now. I'm only under contract for a little bit of time now. But I love playing with Michael. He's going to be good before it's over with. But we just don't know how good or great he's going to be and when it will be. I've grown to like Mike as a person. He's a great kid. If someone asks me about Michael, I'll say he's my teammate and I support him. There are going to be a lot of things said or that might come out. But I'm approaching this season as if Michael is my teammate because he is.

Q: Where will Dwyane Wade be when this free agency period is over?

A: I have no idea. The only thing I can control is getting as much information as I can. I'm going to school right now. I'm doing everything I can to make sure I understand this process. That's all I can do. I don't know what's going to come about. On July 8, we'llsee what happens. Until then, we can all sit back and read all the speculation.

0 comments: